Sunday 24 March 2013

The Doctor called me an athlete.

 
 
The doctor called me an athlete - and I let it sink in for a minute, I smiled a bit and ignored the fact that he was taking my temperature, and giving me blood work instructions.  I ignored even the last half of his sentence and focused only on the fact that he referred to me as an athlete.
 
Because I have never considered myself an athlete.  I never did sports growing up, I tried out for the basketball team in 8th grade once only because my really tall and really athletic best friend was - and I didn't even make it through the first cut (and I am fairly sure I alone was the first cut).  I never did any type of sports during high school (though I did briefly date the captain of the basketball team and that made me FEEL sporty).  So to be sitting here, in the last few months before turning 30 and to be referred to as an athlete by a doctor was flattering - even if the rest of his sentence was not :)
 
What he really said was, "I know it's hard for you as an athlete to stop training; but you really shouldn't be running right now"
 
See?!?!?! Wouldn't you have ignored the end of that sentence and instead just focused on being called an athlete? :)
 
Today is day 14 of being unable to keep food in  - my life consists of ginger ale, toast, bananas and multiple daily trips to the bathroom.  Last week they put me on a liquid diet for 24hrs when I couldn't have any solids and that actually made things worse so Friday I spent a wonderful hour getting blood drawn (from both arms since I am dehydrated and my first arm wouldn't give enough blood!) and providing "samples" - which on a side note is the most traumatizing thing I have ever been through.
 
And now I wait - and see that doctor that thinks I am an athlete :) again tomorrow.  But in the meantime  - there is no running for me. Nothing, nada, not even a 5k - though even if they said I was allowed I doubt my body would have the energy to go further than a block.
 
So tonight I handed over my Garmin to my husband - and filled his pouch with gels, and watched from the front porch as he headed out on his long run.  This is the 2nd weekend in a row that I have had to skip my long run and he has gained more mileage.  I am so unbelievably proud of him, for pushing himself so hard.  It is amusing for me to watch how he "trains" - I am so strict with me regimen of getting up early, eating, allowing it to digest two hours and heading out no later than 7:30am.  Stuart is the exact opposite - he went to church, went out for lunch (*gasp* at a RESTAURANT before a long run??? I would NEVER ) than came home, ran some errands, laid down for a power nap at 3:30pm and was heading out the door at 5pm for a 16km long run.  I think it is good for me, to have someone so casual about the training because it makes me more relaxed.
 
Next weekend we will be at my home for Easter; so I am really praying and believing for complete healing by than so I can enjoy an Island long run.  I already have it mapped out in my head, with the turn around of my out and back at Sailors Encampment.  It should be a gorgeous run; even though winter is still in full effect up there:
 
 
 
 
So until than, I rest and relax and let my body rebuild from this sickness.
 
 
 
Because even "athletes" get sick ♥
 
 
 
 
 
"Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders- let me walk upon the waters, wherever You would call me.  Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander and my faith will be made stronger in the presence of my Savior"
- Oceans (Where Feet May Fail) - Hillsong United
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment