Monday 10 March 2014

What I have learned about pregnancy and running. and myself.



A friend of mine is training for her first Half Marathon, and I realized as I read her status' and see her training photos that I am jealous. So, so jealous.  I realize how much I miss running - yes, even the Saturday morning long runs.  It has made me recognize how much my life has changed in the last 8 months and it leads me to dream about how much it is going to change in the next few months.

The only leg cramps I get nowadays are in the middle of the night and the fastest pace you will catch me hitting is when I am on the way to the bathroom!  My Garmin has been dead in my running bag for months now and I have only worn my Mizuno's a handful of times in the last few months.

I think if I have learned anything being pregnant (other than how to assemble a stroller and "what to expect") I could sum it up in the following 2 points:

1. Making a human is hard
- in every way, every single way imaginable.  I never thought it would be this tough, it changes you in every aspect of your life; physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually.  Your body suddenly is no longer your own but instead a staging area for a little human to be made and it is much more difficult than I ever dreamed!


2. I judged pregnant women way too hard
- I am turning 31 this year, and have been married for 10 years so I am no spring chicken when it comes to joining the baby-making bus! Many of my friends already have children and I now realize how much I judged pregnant women (friends and strangers).  I swore I would NEVER eat junk food, lay on the couch, sleep all day or live in yoga pants - now it is hard to find me not in stretchy pants and I could go for some French fries pretty much anytime of day!  My promise to only eat organic while expecting went out the window around the 5th week and I ate my first paczki this year with little regret! So to those who I judged, I apologize from the bottom of my sleepy, grease covered heart.


So now here I sit (on the couch) 8 months pregnant and dreaming of a half marathon! This yearning was only made worse when the Mississauga Marathon emailed me photos from last years Half Marathon this morning and reminded me there was still time to register for this May's race!



I wanted to send them a selfie of myself and let them know I would be doing a completely different type of marathon this May instead :)

I have remained as active as I can be over the last 8 months, when I first found out I was pregnant I had these great plans to run through my whole pregnancy.  I had visions of me crossing finish lines in each trimester, looking fit and fun in cute maternity running gear.  Well, let me tell you - that is not the case.  When I wasn't getting sick during my first trimester I managed to get out a few 3k's and 5k's but nothing further.  As I entered my second trimester and finally began feeling slightly human  again (a much larger human however) I was hoping to get back into running regularly but had to deal with the onslaught of winter.  And what a winter it has been! Even though I am from the north and should really deal with winter better this one was a record breaking winter both in snow accumulation and low temperatures.  Couple that with ice covered roads and I found myself stuck inside instead of on the road.

I started doing a pre-natal workout video (cue image of a hippo in tights doing jazzercise) and pre-natal yoga in the evenings.  A few times over the last few weeks the sun has actually appeared and dried the road enough to get out for a walk with Pismo.  I also have turned a great daily struggle of mine into a challenge - the 40 stairs up and down to the washroom at work! Trying to make them a workout challenge instead of just a nightmare to tackle at least 6 times a day!


I am trying to remind myself (and was recently reminded by my marathon friend!) that there is a season for everything in life.  That this season in life may not be about running, I spent the last 3 years devoting my time and body to running and training - now I am devoting my time and especially my body to creating a wonderful little man.  I must trust in the Lord that His plan is greater than mine and that this new season in my life will be even more rewarding than crossing any finish line.

Though I did get a jogging stroller, so the next time I cross the finish line it just might be with my son. ♥


2 comments:

  1. In September Tiffany, Samantha and I are doing a walk/run with a stroller through the Toronto Zoo; want to join us?

    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful post. I loved reading through your lessons. And the apology from your "sleepy, grease covered heart" was so sincere and hilarious. So excited for you and Stu! Love from the Trams!

    ReplyDelete